Civil Service Exam English Grammar and Correct Usage Sample Tests


Instruction: Choose the correct answer for each question. Answer Key after the test. Good Luck!

1. Which sentence uses “famish” correctly?
1.  After the straight exam, I felt too exhausted and famished to eat my
favourite foods.
2.  I could eat a horse, I am famish now.
3.  I famished my stomach next time you treat me to a meal out.
4.  I will bring lots of pizza, that’s a famish. 
2. Priscila _______ rather not invest her savings in the stock market.
1.  must
2.  has to
3.  could
4.  would
3. Did you have any problem ______ our house?
1.  search
2.  to search
3.  searching
4.  for searching
4. I hope you don’t mind _____ joining you.
1.  to be
2.  I had been
3.  that I may
4.  my
5. Most basketball players are 6 ____ tall or more.
1.  foot
2.  feet
3.  foots
4.  feets
6. These children _____ how to improvise more props for the play.
1.  knew
2.  knows
3.  know
4.  known
7. The company will upgrade ______ computer systems next week.
1.  there
2.  their
3.  its
4.  it’s 
8. Clara ___________ three thousand words for her essay.
1.  have wrote
2.  has wrote
3.  have written
4.  has written 
9. You have too many _______ but few time to prove you’re right.
1.  hypothesis
2.  hypotheses
3.  hyphothesises
4.  hypothesess
10. Neither Sarah nor Tina _______ the crime yesterday.
1.  witness
2.  witnesses
3.  witnessed
4.  witnessing
11. You do like going to the party alone. _____ you?
1.  Does
2.  Doesn’t
3.  Do
4.  Don’t 
12. We had our house _______ in yellow.
1.  painting
2.  painted
3.  paint
4.  to paint
13. He has been exercising but his immune system was steadily _________.
1.  weak
2.  weaken
3.  weakened
4.  weakening
14. I was ______ that the weather would be sunny and we would be able to enjoy
our swimming.
1.  hopeless
2.  hopeful
3.  hopelike
4.  hopely
15. I think it’s not a great idea. I totally ______.
1.  misagree
2.  unagree
3.  inagree
4.  disagree
16. So many ___________ I found in the library, now I’m ready to report.
1.  information
2.  informations
3.  infoes
4.  infos
17. My grandpa always feed his flock of _______ early in the morning.
1.  sheeps
2.  sheep
3.  ships
4.  ship
18. Happy memories are always remembered, not ________.
1.  forget
2.  forgets
3.  forgot
4.  forgotten
19. Flight Z735 ______ yesterday. 350 passengers died in that accident.
1.  crush
2.  crushed
3.  crash
4.  crashed
20. There is a ________ message when you look closely at her painting.
1.  hid
2.  hide
3.  hided
4.  hidden



Powered by Blogger.